Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Facts and Figures

As I am getting ready to take off tomorrow for my trip, I thought I'd share some points of comparison to better understand Kenya.



Population: 41 Million
Size: 360,000 square miles (Roughly 5 times the state of Ohio or twice the size of Nevada)
-- Only 8% arable land
Bordering countries: Somalia, Ethiopia, Sudan, Uganda, Tanzania
Government: Republic
GDP Per Capita: $1,600 USD (US = $47,400)
Average Income: Approximately $425
Unemployment: 40%+
 Percent below UN international poverty line of $1.25 USD/day: 19%
Percent living on less than $2 USD/day: 40%
Religion: Protestant 45%, Roman Catholic 33%, Muslim 10%, indigenous beliefs 10%, other 2%
Life expectancy: 60 years
HIV/AIDS+: 6.3% (11th highest in the world) or 1.5 million people (5th highest in the world)



I will be in Eldoret, Kenya in the western portion (Rift Valley Province) of the country near Lake Victoria.  Population is estimated at 250K but I am told it is much higher in actuality.

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to read and learn more about your time in Kenya. Have so much fun and thanks for keeping us posted on all of your adventures!

    ReplyDelete